The cloud is there to help customers save money, and that goes for hybrid cloud solutions too. Los Angeles distributors want an IT infrastructure that can grow with their company while controlling your costs.
That means avoiding rip and replace methods and reusing existing IT resources as part of the solution. The VMware hybrid cloud approach makes all of this possible.
Cost Savings of Private and Public Cloud Installations
With VMware hybrid cloud, the same VMware virtualization technology is available for both your on-site and your in-cloud IT. You use common management, networking, and security without the need to change what you have, yet you can move workloads between public and private cloud environments as you like.
The combination of local virtualization and additional virtualization using the VMware’s vCloud Air public cloud service reinforces the overall savings of:
- Server consolidation. Your physical machines run more applications and larger workloads. A consolidation rate of up to 15 to 1 is possible, compared with environments running without server virtualization. Add-on resources using vCloud Air offer the same efficiency.
- Less power and cooling expense. Each dollar spent on new apps and support for new users costs a further 50 cents (i.e. 50% again) in power and cooling. Therefore, doing more with less becomes an even higher priority.
- Reduction of physical space. You can fit more into your local data center or extend seamlessly into the cloud. However, either way, you will not have to buy more IT real estate if you do not want to.
- Less IT management. Daily management and maintenance of systems are another big percentage of IT spend. The less you have to do here, the more you use these resources for other projects like developing new applications to help your resellers to sell better and sell more.
- Continuity of operations. You can dynamically scale your distribution company’s IT operations into the public cloud without changing the way you’ve been running them locally. Your IT team can write and deploy new modules or applications, in the same way, locally and remotely.
Agility is a hot item in business today. Vendors, resellers, and end customers expect distributors to be at least as nimble as they are. Does your IT infrastructure allow you to be agile in the way you set up, test, tear down or run new applications?
VMware hybrid cloud lets you move development and test workloads back and forth between private and public cloud environments as needed, without the extra capital expense that would be necessary for traditional computing environments.
Full Application and OS Support, plus Leading Performance
The VMware solution for hybrid cloud computing saves money, yet without compromises on technologies supported or performance. Over 5,000 enterprise applications and more than 90 operating systems are supported. For instance, there is support for more versions of Windows than Microsoft’s public cloud solution Azure.
Similarly, benchmarking tests by a third party (Principled Technologies) show that VMware’s vCloud Air for public cloud computing offers twice the computing power of Azure and three times the storage performance of Amazon’s AWS.
Have you started using public cloud services to ‘top up’ your internal IT capacity? Share your experience with us with a few lines in the Comments section that follows.
To follow up on the tips in this article, download your free guide, How COOs at Los Angeles Distributors and Manufacturers Get More Done: A Guide to Productivity, Data, Staffing, Delegation, and Making It Home for Dinner Most Nights.