LinkedIn is the third most popular social networking site behind Facebook and Twitter. It is the leading professional network with over 225 million members.
Los Angeles CPAs can use it to connect with fellow CPAs in Los Angeles as well as make contacts with other professionals around the world.
LinkedIn can help you build your brand and market yourself, find and maintain professional relationships, seek jobs or find hires, and keep up with the latest trends, meetings, and more through group discussions.
So, which LinkedIn groups would benefit CPAs in Los Angeles the most?
Know What to Look For
To get the most out of LinkedIn, you need to participate. When you look for a LinkedIn group to join, consider the following:
- Membership Numbers - Small groups can be more However, more numbers usually means more activity and more members to connect with professionally.
- Find Your Niche - LinkedIn groups are often divided into specialties. For CPAs, that means you’ll find areas for financial services, tax law, technology, risk management, and more. It is easy to find groups that are in your specialized area.
- Is It Active? - The number of discussions is important. The more posts there are, the better the likelihood you’ll find useful information. However, just as important is the frequency of posts.
- See What Groups Fellow CPAs Join – Look for other Los Angeles CPAs on LinkedIn and check their profiles. If a group shows up on several profiles, it is probably worth investigating.
LinkedIn Groups Los Angeles CPAs Should Join
- AICPA Group – The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants has multiple groups on LinkedIn. Type “AICPA group” in the search bar and you will find pages of specialty groups for everything from Enterprise Risk Management to a group specifically aimed at young CPAs.
- CFO Network – This is one of the top groups on LinkedIn for CFOs and other financial and accounting It has almost 300,000 members. Trends and technical issues related to financial businesses and accounting businesses are among the topics discussed here.
- CalCPA – The California Society of CPAs is the largest U.S. statewide association with over 40,000 members. They have this LinkedIn group, as well as a page devoted to their Education Foundation that you can follow for news about events, conventions, and more.
- Los Angeles Accounting & Finance Professionals Group – This group is for all accounting and finance professionals in the greater Los Angeles area. The over 3,300 members include CPAs, CFAs, CFO, VPs, Accountants, Bookkeepers.
This is a good list to get you started, but there are hundreds of CPA related groups on LinkedIn. Use the guidelines in this article to research and find others that would be useful.
LinkedIn can be a helpful tool for Los Angeles CPAs. However, to reap the benefits, you need to take an active part by connecting, getting involved in groups, and reading and posting discussions.
Do you use LinkedIn? What LinkedIn groups do you think Los Angeles CPAs need to join? Let us know your thoughts in the Comments box below.
And to follow-through on the tips introduced in this short article, be sure to download your free guide, 12 Ways for CPA Firms in LA to Utilize Technology More Efficiently.